|First ever home brew contest on tap|
INAUGURAL CRAFT BEER HOME BREW CONTEST
WEST COASTER SPONSORS-- West Coaster, a three-year-old craft beer centric newspaper and website operation in San Diego and the Los Angeles basin, today announced the first “Brew Local” home brewing contest.
“Celebrate our vibrant cornucopia of local ingredients and DIY ethic,” says Ryan Lamb, West Coaster Executive Editor. “Simply brew a beer, cider, or mead utilizing a local ingredient. Spices, herbs, vegetables, fruits, and anything else you can dream up are all fair game. Look to our farmers’ markets, your garden or kitchen for inspiration.”
Entries will be judged on how well the base style is crafted and how well the local ingredient works harmoniously with it.
– 2 plain unmarked bottles per entry.
– $5 fee per entry payable to West Coaster.
– Submit as many entries as you want (but we are capping the contest at 50 entries).
– You must tell us what Southern California ingredient(s) you used and where you sourced them.
– Homebrews only. No commercial system-made brews may be entered.
– West Coaster staff and contributors are not allowed to enter this contest.
– Bottle drop-off is at The Homebrewer between May 4th-11th.
– Read and use the BJCP 2008 Guidelines. Categories that will be accepted in this contest:
16E: Belgian Specialty
17F: Fruit Lambic
20A: Fruit Beer
21A: Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer
21B: Christmas / Winter Specialty Spiced Beer
23A: Specialty Beer
25C: Other Fruit Melomel
25C: Open Category Mead
28B: Fruit Cider
28D: Other Specialty Cider / Perry
Editor Lamb adds, “We will have prizes as well as recognition in West Coaster magazine for the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and Runner-Up award winners. Online entry information is forthcoming… Start Brewing!”
Beer Judge Certification Program Info:
Download a current copy of West Coaster: www.westcoastersd.com or for the Los Angeles basin go to www.westcoastersocal.com