|Scan from the UT San Diego's coverage|
via Peter Rowe's weekly column.
FOLIO: MAGAZINE NAMES WEST COASTER PUBLISHER MICHAEL SHESS TO 2014 NATIONAL LIST OF TOP 20 MAGAZINE EXECUTIVES IN THEIR 20’s
Late last month, Michael Shess, 28, publisher and co-founder of WEST COASTER, the monthly print magazine and website covering the burgeoning craft beer industry in Southern California, was named to Folio: Magazine’s 2014 national list of top 20 magazine executives under 30 years of age.
“Through Folio:’s 20 in Their 20s—which is featured in October 2014 issue of Folio: Magazine and was recognized at the recent Folio: 100 awards ceremony on Tuesday, October 21 at the MediaNext Conference in New York City—we celebrate rising stars who are executing some of our industry’s most innovative ideas,” said Danielle Sikes, Marketing Director, MediaNext, publishers of Folio:
Shess, 28, founded West Coaster in the Fall of 2010 along with Co-Founder and Executive Editor Ryan Lamb, 27. Both are San Diego natives and graduates of St. Augustine High School. Shess attended San Jose State University and Lamb is a graduate of UC Santa Barbara.
“The competition was fierce and to be to our annual list of the brightest individuals under the age of 30 is a major accomplishment,” said Sikes.
“Thank you, Folio: and thank you all the craft brewers who believed in us since day one,” said Shess, “It’s a publisher’s dream to be covering such a remarkable industry.”
West Coaster, celebrating its 4th year in San Diego County, expanded into the Los Angeles market with West Coaster Southern California last year. “Surviving four years in a highly competitive marketplace for magazine revenues, plus expanding and succeeding in the huge Los Angeles market, demonstrates why Mike Shess has earned his Folio: award,” said Mark McKinnon, Publisher, San Diego Home/Garden Lifestyles magazine.
A full list of awardees follows. For more information go to http://www.medianextshow.com
FOLIO: The 20 in Their 20s Honorees
• David Averbach, CEO, Mango Life Media
• Jeremiah Batucan, Digital Operations Director, Questex Media Group
• Nicole Bowling, Managing Editor, Residential Lighting
• Alex Burns, Senior Political Reporter, POLITICO
• Pete Cashmore, CEO, Mashable
• Rebecca Fontenot, Editor-in-Chief, San Antonio Magazine
• Michelle Garcia, Managing Editor, Advocate.com
• Nathalie Gorman, Editor, Law.com
• Krystle Kopacz, COO, National Journal Group
• Uzoamaka Maduka, Founder & Editor-in-Chief, The American Reader
• Sterling Proffer, General Manager, Vice Media
• Rachel Rosenfelt, Executive Producer, Gawker Media
• Callie Schweitzer, Digital Innovation Director, TIME
• Zach Seward, Senior Editor & Product Director, Quartz
• Michael Shess, Co-founder & Publisher, West Coaster
• Rachel Stevens, Senior Graphic Designer, Adventure Cycling Association
• Christine Stoddard, Co-owner & Creative Director, Quail Bell Press & Productions
• Michelle Timmerman, Content Manager, AtlanticLIVE
• Kyle Welch, General Manager, RCR Wireless News
• Ryan Wengel, Digital Creative Director, Cygnus Business Media