Frank Lloyd Wright, world renowned architect, was commissioned to design the new building for Community Christian Church after fire destroyed the original building on Linwood. Wright envisioned the entire lot being devoted to parking with the church building supported on graceful pillars over the parked cars. The building would front on 46th Street with the main level of the church to be near the street level at that point. Entrance to the parking facilities, in all probability, would be made from the south and west. Plans included a 1,000-seat auditorium with accommodations for a Sunday School of more than 700. Also included were a roof garden to be used for entertainment and other church functions, as well as a radical approach in construction of heating and cooling systems.
|Wright circa 1940|
|Architect's rendering circa 1940|