|John D. Henderson, FAIA|
architectural features, including scalloped living-room ceiling beams that were salvaged from the fire and reworked; an arched fireplace with a terracotta hearth, both obscured by Victorian tiles; and wood-framed windows. In the canyon behind the home stands a wood cabin where the original owner, Alan Le May, wrote The Searchers, which became a John Wayne movie. The restored house, the cabin, and the formerly overgrown canyon now work together to enhance Miller family life.
indoor-outdoor connections expand the compact living space with new French doors to private patios, and fresh landscaping. SOHO commends Segal for preserving an example of popular San Diego housing history, and foregoing new high-density architecture where it would have been permitted.
San Diego in 2010, and soon expanded to Facebook and Instagram. She writes enticingly about irreplaceable, little known, majestic, or designated historic sites and buildings, some of which were saved by SOHO. Johnson provides her own arresting photographs to illustrate her enthusiastic narratives and intriguing posts. She has turned the internet into an entertaining and informative preservation tool available to all.
hours repairing, restoring and re-stuccoing in vintage style two circa 1912 pillars that mark Lemon Grove’s first modern subdivision. Scouts Lianne Alforque, Danika Cuellar, Cher Flores, and Jordyn Gresham completed this strenuous, gritty Heritage Project in 2018, the San Diego County Girl Scouts’ centennial year. With troop leader Courtney Cuellar, the young preservationists have already been honored with a County Girl Scouts Silver Award and saluted by Lemon Grove’s mayor and city council.
Dr. Craig Salt and Haruko Salt returned their two-story Prairie style home in North Park to its original appearance with the help of a single black-and-white photo taken circa 1920, when the house was new. Over the years, it suffered alterations and indignities, such as shutters added to the sleek, modern picture window; a front door from a big box store; and a pair of artificial stone pillars holding a gate across the driveway. Now its 28th Street façade is again as the first owners, Jesse and Dora Fleming, knew it: a spare, geometric design with a simple front porch, a second-story balcony, and a hand-crafted wooden front door resembling the original.