The monument was erected in 1897 at Portsmouth Square, where it stands to this day. Famed architect of the day Willis Polk was one of its designers. The statue’s champion Bruce Porter, San Francisco’s version of Gertrude Stein, was the other. Sculptor George Piper designed the bronze Treasure Island ship.
During the great pandemic of 1918-19 the plaza next to the Stevenson memorial was used as an open air court house. It was believed fresh air was one way to keep the Spanish Flu at bay.
|In 1897, City fathers decided Portsmouth Square would be the ideal location for the Stevenson Memorial, because the site and much of Stevenson's writings championed the downtrodden.|