LOCALULISMS--In honor of the latest Ron Burgundy/Will Farrell cinema spoof (in theatres near you) that pokes San Diego in the eye, Pillar to Post has revived this “You’re a native when...” list, which appeared the other day on facebook via Terry Williams, managing director of the San Diego Press Club. We post the San Diego list in total with numbers, but the alphabetical additions are those of Pillar to Post.
1. You can correctly pronounce Tierrasanta, La Jolla, Rancho Penesquitos, Jamacha, San Ysidro, Otay Mesa, Jamul and El Cajon and know where they're located.
2.There are four distinct seasons: Summer, Not Quite Summer, Almost Summer and oh, it’s summer, again.
2B. And, you’re not remotely surprised that San Diego County has many different major climate zones: ocean, mountain, desert and AriZonies.
3. Your high school had a surf team.
4. When four aircraft carriers are in port, you know things are peaceful in the world.
5. Your house is worth more than some small countries.
6. You know what MB, OB, OTL, and PB stand for.
6B. You know OMBAC stands for Old Mission Beach Athletic Club and it was founded in 1954.
6C. You played Over the Line (OTL) on the ocean side of South Mission Beach until 1967 when they moved the tourney to Mariners’ Point.
6D. You know OMBAC throws an annual Miss Emerson bikini contest and have figured out what Emerson stands for.
7. Know that San Diego means St. James. We live in Sunny Jim.
8. The green flash is real and where you see it.
9. Really cold is under 60 degrees. Freezing was when your high school date sat at the far end of the front seat of your car at the Rancho Drive In.
10. You’ve tailgated at a Chargers game at Balboa Stadium and Qualcomm Stadium.
11. You don’t care that Qualcomm Way is no where near Qualcomm Stadium.
12. You know that “charge” doesn’t refer to a credit card.
13. You still remember Sixth grade camp.
14. You still call it the Del Mar Fair and you gripe about how much it costs to park there.
15. Know what watching the submarine races means.
16. You feel sorry for tourists who arrive in May and June and expect it to be sunny.
17. There’s a North County, South County, and an East County but no Central County.
18. You know what it means when a girl in a short skirt is walking on El Cajon Blvd.
18B. You know a girl walking on El Cajon Blvd in a plaid skirt is coming home from Our Lady of Peace High School.
18C. You know where “Nations” ice cream parlor was located.
19. You avoid Horton Plaza parking structure after a Padres game.
20. You know what the “merge” is and will plan your entire day around not being on it during rush hour.
21. You know the difference between Clairemont Mesa, Kearny Mesa and Mira Mesa.
22. You know how to spell Clairemont and you know that Ridgemont High was really Clairemont High in the Sean Penn and Phoebe Cates flick.
23. You know that Ron Burgundy is supposed to be Hal Green but not really.
24. You’ve thought about staying home from work or school because it’s raining.
25. You know why front row seats are always open at the Shamu show at Sea World.
26. Local damsels understand San Diego bachelors are ready for marriage when they start wearing their baseball caps with the bill in front.
27. No matter what the weather is, there is always someone walking around in a t-shirt, shorts and flip flops.
28. You know Marines at Camp Pendleton are stationed there to protect San Diego from LA.
29. Zonies are different from snow birds because Zonies are the loudest customers in a restaurant.
30. You know Santa Anas have nothing to do with the City of Santa Ana
31. Don’t care if your local pro sports team have never won a World Series or a Super Bowl and really don’t expect them to do so anytime soon.
32. Never quite figured out why you can’t go north on I-5 when you travel I-8 going East from OB. Did CalTrans run out of off ramps?
33. Understand we have an unlimited supply of politicians who will embarrass San Diego nationally sooner or later.
34. Know all the best beaches and when to go there.