|View of Havana from Cabana Fortress The|
Photography by Bruce Henderson
CUBA'S BIG ROCKS
P irates plundered much of Cuba and Havana During the 16 th and 17 th centuries. To defend itself from These sea-faring raiders, Spanish Colonial government in Spain commissioned the building of a giant fortresses at the mouth of Havana Harbor in order to protect the city.
|Pirates view of Castillo del Morro|
By 1597, the Morro Castle was completed above the eastern entrance to the Havana harbor. For the next three centuries, it served successfully as a defense against raiding pirates and colonial competitors. After the Spanish American war, ITS use Considerably diminished and today it is aa museum and remains a classic example of Spanish colonial military architecture.
Fortress of San Carlos de la Cabaña is the other military fortification on the eastern shore of Havana Harbor. It is a massive fortress built in 1763 to add further protection to Castillo del Morro from land attacks. The Cabana at the time it was completed was the New World's second largest military complex-surpassed only by the St. Felipe de Barajas fortress defending Cartagena, Colombia.
Post a Comment